Quote:

"The third photo is a factory Service Replacement 440 Short Block ("S" = Service Replacement) if you blew a 440 under warranty in 1970 (ANY 440) this would have been what your car recieved as a replacement. There was no HP or anything else unique about them."

Now, from working @ a dealer (not in the 70's) I know that if ordering a warranty part, you ordered the parts specific to the car...eg. if it was a Eddie Bauer Jeep that needed a wheel warrantied, you looked up the Eddie Bauer wheel, I assume it would have been the same then.

So, if you look up the parts to warranty a 70 6 pack with a grenaded bottom end, you go hmmmn short block, 4 barrel or 3 2bbls? The tech says six pack so you order 3462619 as opposed to the 3462617 4 barrel job.

There is where my question lies about the internals on a warranty block. Did it get stamped "S" at the dealer as it was installed as a replacement, or did they need to go a special route to order a warranty engine (seems unlikely).

If your closest depot happened to have the block you ordered, you probably had it right away, were they stamped at the depot? (unlikely)

Or was there a list of warranty part #'s for engines and transmissions? Seems like a pain in the @$$ to me, they certainly would not have done it for trim or whatever, why engines?

Getitdone (Evil Dead)

You are assuming too much, that's all. The various engines sold as service replacments were never stamped at the dealer (as any kind of regular protocall) it was done at the factory. As far as ordering part#'s etc. Warranty/Service replacments had a tag rivoted to the side of the block with an assembly number stamped into it, 440 long blocks, short blocks, etc. carried a different number respectively. To my knowledge there was never a six pack specific number, only a 440 HP that fit all replacement needs respective to the year application. So, in conclusion, as I said before, regardless of any internal differences, all replacement blocks were stamped the same.