Quote:

Quote:

Junkyard combo... Frankenstein motor... Little precision... Anything but. Look, the 400/451 stroker build is one of the most popular builds today, period! That's why many of the piston manufactures make off-the-shelf pistons for this combo.

If you reread my post, I am referring to the origin of this build. It DEFINATELY was a frankenstien, little precision, junkyard combo, to get a cheap 11:1 440 plus cid motor, for nothing more than turning down a crank, and slapping it all together. Ignore the balance issues, and give'r.

The modern 451 that guys build, with the right quality pistons, etc.. is a great build.

I will restate, that with the cost's of modern stroker kits being quite reasonable, I think it makes more sense to build a bigger motor, for the same money as what the 451 will cost in the end.

Awesome! Looks like we’ve brought the story full circle. From the meager beginnings as a non-precision-junkyard-frankenstein motor to an all out 726 horsepower screamer.

I’m not sure where you’re coming up with your math, but I estimate that if I had to start from scratch and acquire all the parts and machine work for a balanced reciprocating assembly like the one used in Schurbon Engine and Machine’s 582HP, 544lb/ft - 400/451 stroker build, I’d be looking at around $1,400.00 give or take a few pennies. The thing is there’s many who have a lot of the parts sitting around anyway, like the original poster here, and don’t have purchase everything from scratch. That in of itself makes the old 400/451 build a good value.

Now if one is going to buy a 500-inch stroker kit they’re looking at upwards of:

Muscle Motors - 400/511 stroker kit $2099.00
440Source - 400/512 stroker kit $1897.00
Indy Cylinder head - 400/500 stroker kit $2150.00

Pricing above does not include the possible/probable extra machine involved to correct the questionable tolerance of aftermarket crankshafts that are produced offshore. And some have indicated the aftermarket connecting rods have some tendencies of requiring resizing as well.

Guess it’s all in what one wants…