Quote:

You can run the stock valve springs with the 260 grind cams listed above or with any of the Summit Racing house brand cam/lifter kits. Timing chain sets are $20-$40. If you are really tight on cash, just use one of Summit Racings cam and lifters with their timing set. I have swapped them and not even bought a new timing cover gasket. Just goop it up. You should be able to do it for less than $200 and scrounge up a 3.23 third member. Good luck

Given that I have 100k on this engine, wouldn't I benefit from new springs anyway? I am trying to spend as little as possible but I don't want to scrimp in the wrong areas.
I also just got a response from Comp Cams after filling out their recommendation form. They suggest the XE250 with 250/260 Duration and .432/.444 Lift. And there's a 1 year warranty on that kit. The cam has a operating range from 800 - 4800 rpm. Unless I totally missed the boat, this means my stock converter should work OK. I know I have to do some trans work and will most likely replace the TC then and I think I will try to find a 3.23 gear set. Thanks for all the input. I think I understand a little more about cams now. The first engine I rebuilt myself was in 1976. I ignored all advice and put new lifters in with the old cam. It was a '69 340 and I installed it in a '74 B100 van. Needless to say, it didn't run well for long....