The early 2.7 were trouble prone and gave the engine a bad name. I think there were a few changes made in 2001. There were a number of improvements made in 2002. The oil pressure was increased, oil coolers were added, some oil passages were enlarged, and improved timing chain & tensioner were added, etc. So the newer 2.7s are considerably improved.

The 2.7 has a forged crank and rods and 4 or 6 bolts on the main bearing caps. Some (maybe all) had a girdle on the main bearing caps. These engines were assembled with some good parts. Unfortunately, the early models had sludge problems combined with weak oiling and timing systems.

I'm not sure how true it is, but from what I've read, the 2.7 sludge problems were caused by excessive oil temperatures. I'd definitely make sure a 2.7 has an oil cooler.

I have a 2002 Intrepid with a 2.7 engine. It's got over 130,000 miles and has been trouble free. Last fall I decided to pull the oil pan to look for sludge and found a VERY clean, sludge free, engine. My wife and I have driven this car since it was new and we are particular about oil change intervals. (Ignore the absurd recommendation in the owners manual and change it every 3,000)

My cars recieve better than average care. This year I'm planning on changing the water pump and timing chains on the Intrepid. I habitually change timing chains at 130-150 thousand miles. I'm also going to touch up any chips in the paint on the floor pans, change the brake fluid, transmission and differential fluids, etc.

My Intrepid will consistantly get 30 mpg on flat interstates with the cruise control set at 70+ mph. (This is better than the EPA estimate) In the hills it will typically drop back to 28 mpg. It's a decent size car, economical, reliable, a great daily driver!

A few things to consider. The 2.7s do not have much power at lower RPMs. Drivers in a hurry will have to rev the engine to get ANY power which at the minimum is irritating and at worst may shorten engine life. Secondly, the front wheel well interfers with leg room in the front seats. The brakes overheat to easily. And lastly, parts for 2.7 are a bit pricy as has already been mentioned.

Because of the bad reputation, 2.7 cars can sometimes be bought cheap. IF it's been well maintained, these cars can be a good value. If the car can be bought cheap enough, it will either be a great deal or a good deal after swapping in a 3.5 engine in the worst case senario.

Last edited by QuickDodge; 06/07/08 12:13 PM.