I turned down a deal on a car that I have been hunting for now for about 6 months. (I want a 46-48 Dodge or Chrysler 5 window coupe.) I found one locally on Craigslist, and it was like the one I want. $1200. I was excited and called the guy. He was honest in saying the car was definately a project. ( I am looking for project status for $ reasons and I also want to re-do it to my tastes.) I know you don't get much of anything for $1200 anyhow. So, I get off work early, go to the bank and make a $1200 withdrawl, just in case... I can;t wait to get there and see the car finally and I had it in my head that it would be coming home with its new "daddy".
Did you ever want to buy something so badly, only to be devistated when you actually see the car? I did today. He lifted the cover off, and he was right..... it needed lots and lots of body work. 2 front fenders, 1 door, 2 rear fenders, and a floor. ( He told me about the floor, and I was prepared for it. He said the rest of the body was repairable.) Not in my eyes. I still looked at it considering the fact that all of the chrome was ther or at least present in the trunk. It was all very decent condition. I tried to talk my self into it by thinking..." Fenders and a door can't be that bad to get." Not it needed a total interior. The motor was locked up, but it would disappear anyhow. I went to shut the door, and the whole rear fender shook!!! The inside of the rear body where the back fender bolts onto the tub was gone. Talk about structral rust. I took a few pictures of it. Tell me honestly, if I did the right thing by turning it down. The price wasn't at all an issue with me on it, it was the amount of bodywork and level of skill it would take to finish it. Here are picts!!!

4460833-resize1.JPG (104 downloads)