Quote:

In my many years in the fiberglass race car parts biz .. I have seen several instances where "trying to get fresh air" this type-of-way can actually HURT the performace of a car.

There could be a VACUUM at the location of this scoop opening. And it COULD actually siphon out fuel from the carb.

CHECK the pressure(if there is some) with a inches-of-water gauge, I used to have a link to show how to MAKE ONE ...I will see if I can find it.

Good point, I do have the equipment to check the pressure/vacuum at the mouth of the scoops & will do this before I decide to cut or not.

I have done quite a bit of pressure drop testing on Mopar air filter elements & housings and some testing for high & low pressure zones around the hood so I'll keep at it & see what the results are before I do anything major to my spare hood.

There are no glass hoods made in my part of the world (New Zealand) & buying/freighting one out from the US would not be viable at all due to the costs involved.

I know enough about how little pressure is actually available at 100 mph or less that I'm not even going to bother with it. All I want is cooler air that is no lower than the atmospheric pressure available when the car is stopped.

As there could easily be 4 times more gain in power from dropping the intake temp by 50*F than gained by ram air pressure I'm looking at the easy options first.

Without any scoop to give cooler air or positive pressure at say 100mph there would be a very small positive pressure under the hood but the loss of air density due to the increase in temperature caused by the radiator would totally outweigh any positive pressure gain.