Hoping that you guys might be able to help out a fellow member. I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9 -- I am having a problem with the check engine light coming on. The 1st time it happened the wife was driving to work and the light came on. I had her drive it straight to a local Dodge dealer who said the check engine light showed a misfire on cylinder 5. They did a "short" tune up on it replacing the plugs and wires etc... The truck is not driven everyday but since that occurrence the light has come on and off again at least another 4-5 times. Most of the time the light resets itself. The truck seems to run fine. When I have been driving it and the light comes on it seems like it occurs as I am starting up a hill or putting a little more strain on the engine. I then hear a "pop bottle type rattle" from underneath the hood.(sorry - only way I know how to describe it) then the light comes on. I always try to run the better gas in it and have added a few bottles of techron at fill ups which seems to help. A buddy of mine thought it might be a distributor issue ? He pulled the codes again and sure enough it says misfire on cylinder 5 -- any suggestions would be helpful- Thanks, Ron

Last edited by mopar155; 02/24/10 09:25 AM.

1970 Plymouth Duster 1971 Dodge Challenger 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 4 Speed (Son's) 1985 Chevrolet Corvette (Wife's)