Quote:

Quote:

well, i got some good advice that seemed to work out perfectly.

Robx suggested i close the outboard mixture screws to 1/4 turn which i did. then I set the center at 1 1/2 out and see if the car will idle.

sure enough it did. i used a vacuum gauge to fine tune it but at the end of it all, i was at 1/2 out on the outboards and 1 1/2 or so for the center. i could turn the center screws in and watch the mixture change accordingly.

idled real nice. and the garage stopped getting smoked out.

seems to be running as good as it ever has. the real problem seems to be my outs were WAY too rich, so i had my center all wacked out on the transfer slots and the idle screws wouldnt work. really elementary but my baseline was so far off i got lost.

thanks rob!

Any suggestions on setting up the idle circuits on a completely stock 1970 six pack setup? It is super rich at idle right now.

first off, can you turn the idle mixture screws in and make the motor idle rough? if so, just turn them in untill it runs smooth and shows the highest idle vacuum (go buy a vacuum gauge).

If you cant lean it out with the mixture screws, you are probably in the same situation i was in- the throttle plates might be open too much and youre running on the intermediate circuit and not the idle circuit.

Check your timing and set it at 8 before TDC or so. set the mixture screws at 1 1/2 turns out and see if you can get the idle screw (not the mixture screw but the idle screw for the throttle plates) backed off a bit to get the carb on the idle circuit.

The problem with stock sixpacks is the outboards run lean. so you may have had to turn the center idle mixture screw out further to compensate, then turned up the idle to get it to run. and that puts you on the transfer circuit which will put you rich.

the outboards have mixture screws in the base plates under a lead plug you can remover pretty easily. then, if your lucky, you can turn the outbard mixture screws out a 1/4 turn to richen them up and then get the center carb dialed in

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.