Quote:

Pretty interesting stuff...

I bet there might be someone who knew of the whererabouts of this car-but he is presently deceased. Willie Howell used to run with a lot of the guys from Paterson back in the day. He probably knew something of this car. Hey Ed, did you try to contact Jerry Stein abiut this?? I am a personal friend of Jerry and I can give him a call for you if you wish. You also should try to dig up some of the old Clifton "Gasoline Alley" guys. I do know a bunch of them still. I can reach out and see what comes of it.

Frankly, I am surprised that I never heard of this car before-especially being right in my backyard. I usually know of a lot of the obscure stuff around here.

Great story.

MB

Hey Mike,

I've met Jerry a few times, via a mutual friend (TS) but do not know him personally. Run it by him-and anyone else for that matter- worth a shot. It would be greatly appreciated. This car spent it's whole life in Bergen County NJ- always within a 20 mile radius of where it was delivered new (Wyckoff/River Edge/Paramus/Haworth/Paterson). When it was not traveling to/from Maryland (where my father was stationed), it was out on the streets in Bergen and Rockland Co (Nanuet/Spring Valley). Some of the racing tales I've been told of was seeing who could get from the Nanuet Hotel down to the Fireplace in Paramus, first: many high speed runs down the GSP happened in that car....

Funny you mention 'Gasoline Alley': I omitted part of my father's recanting of the car. The motor in this car was redone in 67- storyline below:

"At 52,000 miles, in mid June 1967, a piston ring broke and scored a cylinder wall, # 3, 4, 5, or 6, I don't remember which. I had purchased .040 over pistons before disassembly only to discover the score was .027" deep and the cylinder needed to be sleeved. The sleeve and all other cylinders were bored .040 over and bronze guides were installed in the heads along with new exhaust valves. This work was done by Dick Simonek on "gasoline Alley" in Paterson. The car was back in service on 7/14/67. "

I am 99% sure only the motor was taken there: not the car also. Just a small tid-bit. If you come up with anything, drop me a line: again- thanks.

Ed

Ed
EastCoast Land Yacht Assoc.
1967 Newport Conv: 440/4 speed
1969 GTX: 440/4 speed, TX9/TX9, A34, N96
1970 Super Bee: 383/4 speed, B5/B7
1970 Coronet RT: 440/4 speed, A34, N96
1970 Coronet RT: 440/auto, A36, N96
1970 Road Runner convertible: 383/4 speed TX9/D6XW
1970 GTX: 440+6/727, A32, N96
2001 Dodge 2500 HO CTD, 6 speed, 4x4 quad cab long bed
"The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese".