Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you were to learn one type of welding and had not much previous experience, I would definetly buy a tig. Much more versatile, you cant weld chrome-moly with a mig, or most other metals other than just good old mild steel. I am also of the opinion that to learn to tig is much easier, but that is jsut my opinion

Mig welding is much easier(IMO), I do all of it but
if you can move you hand and get the sound of bacon
frying you are mig welding... it'll weld moly, mild, and SS

Don't forget aluminum.

Yeah that also but you need a separate liner or
another cable... I was just referring to simple stuff
but the mig is a very versatile machine

Yes, it is a little more of a hassle switching between steel and aluminum. If you do a lot of aluminum work too, your best bet is to buy a complete seperate cable / liner and gun all set up for the aluminum wire size you normally use. Don't scimp on the helmet ether. Auto-darkening for sure and get one with a big lense ( especially if you ware glasses )that has adjustable darkening, sensitivity and delay features. Mine is a "Kobalt". Probably one of the least expensive helmets that still has all the above mentioned features.

Now i am pretty sure that to weul chrome moly and have it certify, it must be tigged, and if you ever want to weld stainless or aluminum and have it look really good you need to tig it. but just my opinion

Don't know about the certification thing, but no two ways that T.I.G. is the way to go - in the hands of a professional. I am no where near an expert when it comes to welding ( or metalergy ), and I would not attempt to weld up a $2K set of heads, etc, but I would have no qualms about welding up suspension stuff - from a strength standpoint.

Fastest 300