I put a 2005 8.3L SRT10 motor in my 2000 dodge dakota. To keep it street legal here I need to design the exhaust to include catalytic converters. I have some flexibility on where exactly the cats go though and had some questions on exhaust design theory. The truck will be using the factory SRT10 Ram exhaust manifolds which are basically a cast iron shorty header. The pipes and cats will be 3 inch.

- Is there a specific distance from the exit on the manifold to the cat that will create the best flow through the cat? I know I don't have the space to get laminar flow or anything like that, but If I have the flexibility I might as well use it.

- I don't know for sure if I can fit a X pipe, so it will likely be a H pipe. If I can fit the H pipe in front of the cats would there be any value to it? It might cause 02 sensor issues but I could work around that if needed.

Thanks for any ideas or brainstorming!

-Jon

70 challenger convertible. 340/5 speed. blown, intercooled, efi, blah blah blah 71 valiant scamp 318/A833OD/AC/PS 00 dakota RC 4.7L 5 spd autoX'r. SRT10/T56 swap in process 73 W200 Power wagon, PTO winch, 4 spd