This is not so much of a race car question, but hoping you guys can post your thoughts.

A friend of mine wants to tub his 71 Charger. This is basically a cruiser, has never seen the strip, but might maybe once or twice just to see what'll run. So a little thought session came up with the idea of useing another set of stock rear rails (his are not in the best of shape to try and remove from the car in one piece), and basically move the rails in farther, and put the springs back under the rails as they are now.

The whole point in doing this is a couple of things, we can run a 29x18.5 tire and rework the stock trunk floor (and still have a very usuable trunk)and rework the stock tubs and not have to mess with the outside of the car using after market tubs or cutting the quarters as it has been painted (car is currently mini-tubbed, springs moved in with 29x13.5 tires). This will also allow use to slightly rework and keep the backseat also, and basically keep it all unibody and keep the intergrity of the car without a rollbar or cage.

So what are the thoughts on this? I have seen leaf spring tub jobs in the past, that still seem to perform decent, so it doesnt seem out of reach to me.

Outcast Dodge guy.