I can smell the sweet odor of anti-freeze each time I turn on the air/heater/defroster. She's not blowing smoke/mist yet but I know that's next. I need to change the heater core on a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10. I have several questions and looking for any advice. I looked at the Hanyes manual and looks pretty involved. Disconnect almost everything, remove almost everything and A/C needs to be depressurized. When I went to the dealer to price a core they quoted $281.00 and joking asked if I wanted to order a new dash. Napa wanted $81.00. Why is there such a differance in price.

1. Does the A/C evp core need to be replaced also or just the heater core.

2. Upon reading a little in my cheapo haynes manual the dash needs to be really opened up. Can I still drive my truck with the dash torn up until I actually replace the core.

3. Any warnings about letting the refridgerant flying to the air then have it recharged after the heater core is installed.

I would really like to do this myself and save the gajillons of dollars it may cost to have the dealer or shop do the repairs. Any advice will help.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ anonymous 69 Runner 440 stroker 72 Scamp waiting for a BB 96 Indy Ram 00 2500 Sport Ram V10