Guys!

I'm preparing my 340 for reassembly and I've been searching (somewhat casually) for the proper method in determining push-rod length. (BTW: I've been known in the past to skip this step and just slap an engine together and see what happens... )

I didn't see anything in the tech area, and even many of the guys at the machine shops aren't sure (unless it is a chevy ).

My 340 has the stock cam, lifters (hydraulic), and non-adjustable rocker shafts/arms. They all mention using a black or blue felt marker to mark the tops of two valves, assembling with two push rods & rocker arms/shaft and rolling the engine over a few times.

Then check the affect that the rocker arm has on the top of the valve.

I can't see how affective this method is with non-adjustable rocker arms, although I think I understand the intent of the procedure.

They also mention using a solid lifter & the adjustable push-rods, to determine the proper length. But they say that the stock lifters can be used (some-how) also.

Basically you lengthen and shorten the adjustable push-rod to achieve the correct imprint on the top of the valve. (Then use that length to order new ones of that length).

Has anyone used this method with non-adjustable rockers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim...

"Robots building robots.... now that's just stupid!" - Will Smith in the movie "I, Robot".

'71 Demon (340/727)/'69 Charger (383/727)/'65 Barracuda (273-2V/904)/'66 Coronet (340/727)/'86 Dodge Aries (2.5L)/'78 Dodge Aspen (318-2V/904)