Quote:

For some reason, my mini-starter is not turning the motor. It appears to be cycling properly, but acts like the gear teeth are not lining up with the 727s flywheel or producung enough punch to turn it.

Has anyone experienced this? What should I be looking for?

RobG,

I have the same exact problem. Recently a few weeks ago, my old style starter quit working. All I would get turning the igition on is "click" nothing else. Verified all connections, etc.... "click" The last time I had it out was a 100+ degree day and in addition, my built up motor gives off plenty of heat. I thought that I had heat soaked the starter and put it out of its misery.

Went to parts store tonight, bought the mini-starter for a 90's something Ram 360 and installed it. Clearance is good on top for connections and fits flush againts the block/bellhousing. I have in on a 383 with a 4-speed. I pulled the inspection cover off, and verified that everything is lining up fine. Nose cone is inside the hole, and the teeth do engage against the stock flywheel fine and mesh together.

When I hit the ignition switch, the starter is trying to turn over but it seems like it just doesn't have enough guts to turn the flywheel over. Not sure what the problem is. Battery has plenty of power.

I'm taking it back tomorrow most likely and getting a stock original replacement I suppose. I attempted this one time a good few years back with a junkyard mini-starter with the same results. I thought it was a 4-speed issue, but it seems you are having the same problems with your 727? I'm stumped at this point.

Jim

1970 Plymouth Road Runner, RM23N0A, 383 4-Speed