I ussually end up at 160 after burnout. I don't normally race for consistancy. But, just so the tuneup stays on a level playing field this is the temp I end up with. I usually cool the engine down in the pit to just where the temp hand drops below the numbers on the guage but not to the peg. Then after driving up the temp is up to 140. I have a cast iron block so after a sprint to tech and back I feel the oil is warmed up. Some of the guys I have helped used electric oil heaters and towed car to staging.

This is an area where experimenting with different temps may find some power. I have tried dead cold with hot oil. I have even tried removing fuel from fuel cell and placing the jug in a cooler full of ice to cool the fuel sense cool cans were not legal in all the classes I ran in. Plus cool cans add weight. There is a system designed to super cool coolant probably what Fred is talking about. I always liked cooling the intake with a large dose of nitrous. The classes I ran in the last few years didn't allow that. SHAME ON THEM.

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.