Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone else with tight fan clearence?
Will a short clutch fan fit?

The problem with the aluminum rads is that they are thicker than the brass ones. I used a mancini rad that looks very similar too yours. I bought their shroud but it needed rework. I used their 22" rad as at the time I didn't know about the aftermarket yokes you can buy. It still cools fine.

I used a 6 blade fan on a jaguar clutch (it's the only one that would fit), however, it did not cool very good at idle. I replaced it with a 6 blade solid fan with a 1"spacer which cools well at idle.

Did you use a Mopar solid fan or aftermarket? The owner of the car will probably idle around cruise night as much as anything, so I guess from what you are saying the Jag clutch is out?
BTW, this is a 26" 1 1/4" tube/ Do you think that there would still be a problem with a clutch fan?
Also this is a mild 472 with AC.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark:

I used a 15" solid steel Flexolite fan. Try to use a 17" if you can. Mines a 472 as well with aluminum heads and 10:1 compression. On a really hot, humid day, I can idle for about 10 minutes before the temp gets up to about 195. I have a 180 stat in mine. I found that the clutch fan didn't turn fast enough to pull enough air through it. It would constantly heat up to 195 during a stop light. As soon as I start moving it drops to 175-180.

Air conditioning might aggravate the heating a bit, but the 26 rad should help.

The pump is also sometimes overlooked. An air conditioning style pump needs to turn faster to maintain flow at idle. Under driven pulleys and air conditioning fans might cause some grief. I used an Edelbrock pump and regular size pulleys. Don't use the small pump pulley with the regular pump as it might cavitate at high speeds.

Make sure the mixture is not too lean and the timing is correct (12-18 initial and 32-35 total). On the street, a slower curve will help keep it out of detonation (although responsiveness might suffer a little) unless you have some good fuel available.

By the way, that's a nice rad!

Last edited by torkrules; 08/23/09 10:45 PM.