Quote:

Sport,

So herb was saying 15:1?

I better go back and brush up....and then go drill some holes in my crank

I guess the point I was making is everything from the Balancer to the tire that spins needs to be SUMMED, a crank will only spin as fast as the load against it can let it......Light cranks from my experience are really felt above the torque peak and as "panic" (sorry, you'll always be Panic to me!) said it really depends on a lot of other variables. Where it can also pay off (in an obvious but not really mentioned way) is if the lighter mass allows the motor to more safely rev and be built/tuned to a higher HP peak and allow the motor for more RMP/POWER than it would otherwise be able to achieve.

I dont think/sure Herb was stating a specific ratio number. Just pointing out the significant differences from static to rotating weight from dead/wheel/crank. As Panic pointed out there are alot of variables.

But, in Herbs example it did turn out to be 15:1 from my Busch Light math anyways. Other examples will be different for sure.

I also agree with your thinking that anything that can be done to lighten the rotating mass from the "Balancer to the Tire" can be "Summed" up as a good thing. For rotating parts and mass lighter is always better, and thats not an opinion. mike

Last edited by Sport440; 08/04/09 10:12 PM.