thanks guys. i am 6'3" and with the seat riser still in place and a sheet of plywood on that, there is approx. 3" of space between my head and the roof. i chopped it 5" and i cut the a-pillars like the jamb posts, parallel to the floor instead of 90 degrees across the pillars. i am at the point where i can still change frame plans if i want. originally, i was going to go no frontend, staight axle and a custom grille, ala 1936-38 dodge pickup, but my finances may take me a different route. i have listed for sale in the full size mopars section, a 69 dodge monaco 2dht. i am contemplating pulling the front subframe out from under it and donating it to the 39. my preliminary measurements are good. it has what looks to be a satisfactory amount of kickup from where the unit bolts to the floor and where the upper control arms reside. i wouldn't have to do a custom "Z"ing to the frame, it's already done. i still have to do some more measuring, but i think it can work. then i can use my 2"x4"x1/8" wall tubing from there back and do a more traditional ladder bar/coil over/panhard bar type suspension in the rear and tie it all together. i think the main advantage to the c-body donor clip is that everything is there in one convenient unit. the torsion bars, the torsion bar cross member, the tranny crossmember, the motor mounts, the control arms, the frame horns, steering, brakes etc. i can determine my wheelbase needs, move the clip fore or aft and go from there. i hate to use this monaco for that, but i have had this car for sale for a while now and no bites, plus, it's paid for. i am on a shoe-string budget anyhow. plus i have the rims, the rearend and a host of other parts i can cull from. as far as it possibly being too low, i can still channel up into the seat riser area at least as much as the 4" height of the frame tubing and not affect drivers head clearance. keep the comments coming, i am listening. powerplant will probably be a 413 i have laying around the garage. i am supposed to pick up a 71 dodge d100 with a 383 and a 4 speed, but my money situation will determine whether that happens. if the monaco sells before i pull the clip, then i will go with the 71 motor/tranny, straight axle route and go fenderless, if not, 413/727 and the frontend will go one. i know to get this truck that low, i will have to clearance the lower portions of the fenders, but either way, i am getting this thing low. it will not be a daily driver, limited highway use. mostly just cruisin' the local streets. thanks guys, gonna go cut the doors now. mike in k.c.

Last edited by mikeinkc; 08/01/09 03:16 PM.

ask me about new sportone elbow side trim for your 1957 and 1958 plymouths http://39lowboydodge.blogspot.com/