Quote:

Ok, so it looks like I will be picking up a flat tappet 318 at a price that will really help me with my budget build. It has been cleaned, cylinders honed, and cam bearings installed, and crank polished. Also have a set of magnum heads in the works at a price that will help me out as well. So with this in mind what would you do to button it up. Remember my goals are daily driver, street car, fun to drive, that will also be used on long trips when I take them. Looking for as close to 300hp as possible and as much torque as possible.

Intake, Performer or RPM. I have had two suggestions for pistons, some from hughes and the KB 167's. There was a suggestion to get the quench around 40. Anyone want to elaborate on what that means? Just trying to learn

Car is a 71 Satellite Custom, 318/904, 8 1/4 open w/ appr 2.76 gears, 245/60/15's, power disc w/ rear drums, power steering, A/C. Eventually want to go sure grip 2.94 or 3.23 at the max.

Thanks
roe

here's my combo I just put together:

stock '86 short block (roller cam motor, out of my car, I measured the pistons at .055" in the hole).

honed the cyls, new moly rings, reused pistons

Mr. gasket .028" thick head gasket. this combo works out to exactly 9:1 compression assuming 64cc for the mag heads.

magnum heads that I had a 3 angle VJ done on, opening up the VJ to 1.9" and 1.605" (stock VJ was way undersized for the valves), chrylser 2.2L retainers from the junkyard, hughes 1110 springs, they're installed ~1.63 IH, will accomodate up to .530" lift at that IH. I spent 2 days profiling the guide bosses, opening up the pushrod pinch, grinding off casting flash, radiusing the short side, and hogging out/bowl blending the ports. I also redrilled the heads to LA intake pattern to reuse my....

Eddie air gap RPM

stock magnum roller lifters, pushrods, rockers

eddie 600 carb

roller cam reground by bulletcams.com to their HR259/316 lobe both intake and exhaust. specs with the mag's 1.6 rockers are:

duration:
259/259 adv 208/208 .050 lift 127/127 .2" lift
it's ground on the factory cam's 112 LSA for 33 degrees overlap, installed at 108 ICL, .506" lift with mag rockers.

summit headers, to a custom fabricated mandrel bent Y pipe to the 3" single exhaust I had on the car before (old Y pipe was compression bent 2.5", but rotted out)

I'm still working on carb tuning, I've got a bad off idle lean bog (hooked up a friend's LM1 and it leans out to 20:1 when you stomp on it) except for the bog, this thing pulls as hard as the 360 that had a comp XE262 (46 degrees overlap, intake lobe was 262/218/130 for adv/.050/.2" duration) with a lot better manners at idle, and hopefully once I get the carb tuning sorted out mileage will be significantly better than the 360 (which pulled down 15-16mpg....I'm hoping for 20 with the 318).

personally, if I were you, I'd get a magnum 318, or at least an '85-newer short block (roller cam motor). get the roller cam reground to the same profile I have, clean it, toss new bearings, rings, thin head gaskets in it, put a 4bbl and 600 cfm carb on it and enjoy. I don't think I'd bother with a flat tappet motor ever again.

if you're set on the flat tappet motor, if the bores aren't worn to where you need a bore, I'd just reuse the stock pistons. maybe if you have it tore down, toss the crank and the 4 corner pistons in it and measure how far down in the hole they are with a straightedge and feeler gage. if you want more compression/good quench, have the deck blocked so the pistons are ~.014-.018 in the hole, then use the Mr. gasket thin gaskets, so you can achieve .038-.046 (min-max based on published thickness of the gaskets and depth in the hole) clearance between the piston and the cyl head deck at TDC.

for a cam, I think I stick by my recommendation of the voodoo 60400 or 60401 or a comp 260H depending on what valve springs you choose and how much installed height you can get on the mag heads.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)