Quote:

So what I taught myself is that the 440 H.P. 18-spline 4-speeds must have used an 11" clutch that bolts to the wide pattern on the outer edge of the flywheel.
It seems the standard duty 440 used the same flywheels as the other big blocks with the 23-spline transmissions. These seemed to use an 11-inch clutch that bolts with a slightly smaller bolt pattern on the flywheel.
Is this how things were or am I way off base?

My factory stock '70 440 Sixpack Roadrunner used the 10.9/ 11" small pattern clutch--and was the same bolt pattern as a 10.5, I believe. I think this was done in '70 to try and trim down the floor. My 69 383 RR had a big pattern 11"

I hated that thing, had a lot of trouble with it, the clutch disc would "fur up" on the outside and rub on the mounting ears, and would not release cleanly all the time. I later swapped a 340 into that car, and in fact, later swapped a 'Vette diaphram into the car with the 340.

If at all possible, I'd prefer a big pattern, 11" clutch. Since that already is what belongs in there, I'd replace the flywheel

Last edited by 440sixpack; 07/17/09 02:07 AM.