I bought a motor complete. 360 with "O" heads, which are a 915 casting varient (they were supposedly 2.02 intakes from the factory). Moderate lift hydraulic cam (484). Long story short, it's been sitting about 8 years since it's initial breakin. Got it running, but low oil pressure at idle (7 lbs). Valve train "ticked" like the lifters weren't pumping up. It was getting oil to the top end (leaky valve cover let me know that) Replaced lifters. Replaced the oil pump. The oil pump had a "depression" on the mating surface that didn't let it seal against the block. Though my problem was solved. Primed the motor, had 30 psi easily without running the drill at any kind of speed.

Started the motor last Thursday. Popped right off, seems responsive. Oil pressure was 50 psi when it cold, dropped to about 15 psi hot, but no knocking, so I don't think oil pressure is an issue. It's still making all kinds of ticking at all RPMs. Doesn't sound like a single valve or a single side. It sounds like the whole valve train is doing it.

Took the valve cover off on on side. Pushrods seem tight. Lifters seem pumped up (couldn't push them down easily). We checked the valve to rocker arm clearance (underside). Seems adequate. Checked the clearance between the retainer and valve seal. It looked to be better than .25" when valve was open.

I'm running out of ideas on where to go next. Thought I'd see if some of the real experts could help out.

Thanks