Originally Posted by Craig J
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Which part # head gaskets are you using now?
Are you driving it now or not?

I was living in Racine Wisconsin and drove it every weekend if it was cool out... I probably have 500 miles on it, but if I shut it off hot the starter could not turn the engine over unless I backed the distributor off about 10 degrees...

I have a dual wide band in it and fooled around with the carb a fair bit to get a reasonable afr for idle and cruise... Unfortunately this engine will ping easier than anything I have ever driven... with a stock mopar distributor I can not get a combination of initial timing & full advance that works.

If I put in low enough initial timing so that it will start, then I have to open the throttle blades so far that it will "run on" forever when I shut it off hot. If I put in enough advance to make it idle with the throttle blades in a normal range, it won't start when it is hot...

I ordered a CB performance black box yesterday, I am hoping that I can put together a timing map that will work with this mess of mismatched parts.

Try an ignition cut off switch. Get it cranking throw the switch to fire. Switch off to kill it.

America First!