Everyone always brings up the "popsicle stick" Port-O-Sonic as the best intake for its time because there was a limited number of Mopar intakes available. While true, the distinction between Thermoquad and Holley square bore use isn't mentioned unless the topic centers around the Super Stock class. The Thermoquad was the only "legal" carb for SS, thus the need for a legal modification because of the spread bore. Have there been any tests of a "stock" Port-O-Sonic with a square bore Holley compared to the LD340 and other options? (Rarely heard anything positive about other single plane intakes like the original Torker & Tarantula.) Just wanted to note that the Thermoquad popsicle stick mod couldn't possibly work well in a square bore carb application.

I see pittsburghracer has a positive view of a stock Port-O-Sonic!

I used the LD340 on the street and early bracket racing years. The Holley Strip Dominator provided great results with my bracket W-2 engines and later IHRA Crate Motor Stock class. The Edelbrock Victor had a deeper plenum and didn't seem to work as well in my applications. (7,000 rpm max.) Other racers in my classes didn't find a benefit with the Super Victor as well.

Of course, jetting will be a factor in any comparisons. You can't simply swap intakes and take for granted that fuel distribution remains the same.

Didn't Hamburger make adapters to put small block Chevy intakes on Mopar small blocks in the Super Stock or Modified classes in the early years?

Last edited by Locomotion; 03/15/24 04:25 PM.