Originally Posted by mopars4ever
What was used by the detailers back in the 70`s when a dealer sent out a car to get cleaned up for the used car lots? The stuff they used lasted quite a while not like the cleaners/coatings they use today. The interiors and the engine compartments would stay shiny. Any ideas?

I have to disagree. Having been involved with this since at least '72. The old single stage paint would oxidize and would typically do it in a few months. They needed to be waxed at least twice a year. Most waxes then and now have compound or polish in them which is why they are often called 'cleaning waxes'. They actually remove some surface material in the waxing process rather than compounding and then waxing. 'Pure waxes' do not remove surface material. They only 'coat' the surface. 'Cleaning waxes', because they remove surface material by 'scuffing' it, can actually dull down a really slick paint surface and should not be used except to help correct neglected or less that stellar paint. Fifty years ago the wax helped to 'seal' the single stage paint from the environment thereby slowing down the oxidation process keeping the shine there longer. It often took a half dozen clean towels to do a car back then because they loaded up with the oxidized paint and heavy wax/compound.

Much of today's base/clear paint is much, much harder than the old single stage. But certainly not all. There are all levels of quality of clear coats on production cars today as well as in the after market. And despite the EPA's efforts, there are many automotive painting products available today that are far and away superior to anything available 'back then'.

And it's the same with the products that we use to maintain the coatings on our cars today. There are far more and far better products now than we had available 50 years ago.

Fifty years ago, the primary reason for waxing our cars was to barrier the paint from the atmosphere due to the oxidation process. Today, wax is primarily for stain protection. Personally, I do not wax my Cuda. Of course, it is not a daily driver. If I think it might be getting a little dull, I just do a quick machine polish and it is good for a few more years. You don't have to remove much surface at all anymore to get to a good gloss. Unlike 50 years ago.

This is a deep subject. And there are LOTS of variables; how hard is the clear? What kind of shape is the paint in now? Is the car a daily driver or more of a show poodle? How much time will it spend in the sun and rain/etc? And on and on....................

Master, again and still