Originally Posted by gtx6970
Originally Posted by topside
That's quite a difference between the two: I like the yellow car much better. It has a crisp sound to it, whereas the GTX sounds like a 318 car.
Maybe '66-'67 cars are different from '68-'70, but IIRC the later 440 cars had an H and larger pipe before the mufflers.
Plus, the manifolds on the RBs should be further apart due to deck height, no ?

FWIW, my yellow car sounds pretty much like your yellow car - and it isn't because of paint laugh2 - but my blue car sounds pretty much like the GTX.

Both cars are equipped with a full 2.5inch TTI system , both are H pipe equipped
The 440 GTX is box stock.
the 383 Satellite had a small cam, approx 10-1 comp. and stealth aluminum heads

This is exactly why I find it hard to pick mufflers. You hear a much different sound on two cars that should be pretty close.

One thing I’ve wondered about is if the Accurate (or other) repops would flow like factory? Reading old road tests I have, a 68 GTX 440 with ac could punch just under a 14 second ticket at the strip. I’m sure that was a worked over car they gave the press, but did they swap mufflers on such? If a true factory muffler can flow like that, it should be all I need for a stock 440 car, if repops are spot on that is.

I want my fair share