Doing a super budget rebuild on a late 70's 360 engine (ala no machine work, stock bottom end). Upon disassembly, I found it had .010" under bearings on the rods and mains, so I ordered some half groove bearings for .010" under for the mains and rods. I don't have access to a dial bore gauge at the moment, so I am using green plastigauge, and the main bearing clearance at the crown on every single main was just a hair under .002". I know that can be considered tight, and this is somewhat of a performance rebuild, although I don't plan to spin this past 6500rpm considering the nature of the build parts, but I am still a bit concerned

Wondering what my options are for getting more clearance, as I would truly be more comfortable with a .0025" clearance even though factory spec is between .0015-.002 if I recall, but other than crank grinding not sure anything else will get me there (I have always understood that a crank polish really doesn't gain much, and sanding bearings is considered a no no by many). Do I buy another set of bearings and hope for the best? These are Enginetech bearings and I will be running a standard volume pump with the high pressure relief spring. What would you do- slap it together? Machine work? Different bearings?

Last edited by mshred; 01/26/24 10:15 AM.