By myself I always run about seven over the posted speed limit. I use cruise control whenever I can and I just let it maintain for me. Do the same when I can riding my 2007 BMW R1200RT. Never had any Wisconsin police officer, local/sheriff/city/state-cop ticket me for seven over the posted limit. I stick to the "seven you're fine, ten you're mine" guide when driving. When on my bike I always wear a white full face helmet, my silver/grey Olympia riding jacket, gloves and Euro style riding boots, and if I wear black jeans I swear some drivers think I am a cop on a bike. My BMW is a mix of silver/grey colors and I have LED driving lights added to the front. I never follow traffic too close, but I have had cars pull over to the side or to another lane as I approach, heh, heh.

In my company provided cars over the years, I just blend into traffic because what I drive is very common, don't stand out in traffic. When in traffic I drive with the major flow as its easier to maintain space around me. So if traffic flow on major highways/interstates are running close to ten over I tend to flow with them. I was recently driving 294/94 around Chicago and north, traffic flow was averaging ten+ over the posted speeds, which means in many sections we were doing 80+. I saw a Metro police Ford Explorer behind me in traffic, so I slowed to within eight over the posted speed and the police Explorer zipped by me easily ten over the posted limit. In fact it was two of them running a close formation moving through and around traffic. Once they got ahead of me about 1/4 mile I sped up to match their speed, and we were doing 85+ in a posted 70 area. Curiosity satisfied I backed off down to seven over and set the cruise.

When I get my 56 pickup on the road it'll easily cruise at 70+ all day because it'll have a Dakota chassis underneath with a built 5.2 Magnum/8HP-70 trans with 3:55 gearing in the rear axle. But since it'll certainly stand out in traffic I may hold more consistent to the seven-over limit, as long as I don't have traffic crowded around me (I hate that when driving).

Last edited by Andyvh1959; 01/01/24 05:14 PM.

My 56 C3-B8 Dakota build