Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Chevy use to use manifold vacuum advance and then switch to ported vacuum for smog rules, I don't use vacuum advance on any of my hot street builds, especially with todays electronics EFI set ups work scope
BB Mopars on pump gas seem to like 14 to 18 degrees advance BTDC at or under 1200 RPM and then all the advance in by 1800 RPM, 32 to 36 degrees BTDC total with the correct tune and correct heat range spark plugs wrench scope twocents

I agree with you, Cab. The only thing that I might have a little different experience with is the initial; the bumpier the cam, the more initial they typically like. All the way to locked out if it doesn't hit the starter too much when cranking. But most of the time, my engines (both BB and Hemi) seem to do well with initial in the mid 20s then with the advance in as soon as possible like you recommend. I use that even on engines with milder cams. The caution comes with load in high gear. You have to watch for detonation when cruising with total in that early. Gearing, weight, converter, etc all come into play with that.

These are my experiences with primarily street driven cars with more cam than stock.

Master, again and still