Originally Posted by dart4forte
Originally Posted by poorboy
I checked the tag on the 5 speed out of my Dakota. It is indeed a New Process A535 (2500) 5 speed. They came in Dakotas from 87-92 according to the Mopar manual transmission guide.
The AX 15 (which I was told mine was) was put in the Dakotas from 91 to 96.

Sorry for any confusion.

Wouldn’t you need an adapter?

Since everything came out of the 1990 Dakota with a 3.9 V6, everything was factory bolted together.

As John stated, the bell bolts to any Mopar motor with the small block bolt pattern. The older motors that had the extended crankshafts would probably need a spacer between the motor and the bell to put the trans and clutch assembly on the same plain, to make up for the longer crankshaft hub.

The bolt pattern between the trans and the bell are probably transmission specific, but it has pretty much always been that way with Mopar.

The NP A 535 (2500) trans has the 4 bolt ears to bolt the trans to the bell, and also only has a round hole for the trans snout to fit into. It would probably be an easier trans to adapt to an older bell then the AX 15 with the specific trans bolting arrangement and the oblong center hole. But that would be my opinion based on nothing other then the 4 ear trans bolt pattern and the round center hole. I have no other Mopar manual transmissions to compare to around here anymore.