Originally Posted by topside
I'll add that the original suede finish had a sandpaper-ish texture and no gloss.
Application should be "dry", if that's an adequate description.

And it is very difficult to remove paint shop dust from suede finish. I recently had these painted with OEM suede paint at a paint shop: dash frame, steering column assembly, ash receiver cover, glove compartment door, AND (not mentioned in FSM for Plymouth A body) emergency brake bracket and fastener that attach to the dash frame. The dash frame was left uncovered after paint for a few weeks and accumulated a lot of dust. The only way I could remove it due to the sandpaper-ish texture was with soapy water, high pressure rinse, and blow dry.

On a slightly different topic regarding not suede finish but "Interior Gloss Finish Colors" as opposed to "Exterior Gloss Finish Colors" used in the interior: I believe the factory's use of interior gloss finish colors was a way to save cost by having cheaper paint with lesser ultraviolet protection. Both are exactly the same color - one is just cheaper and less protective than the other. For example, if the upper door frame is green, it is painted exterior F8, but immediately next to it, the quarter panel upper garnish molding is painted interior F8. To keep it simple, I'm using exterior F8 for both.

In the photo, both greens don't look exactly the same after 55 years, but when new, I believe they were the same.

12-8-2004 (3)-18r.jpg

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.