Originally Posted by INTMD8
Originally Posted by turbobitt
Originally Posted by clovis
What is the situation where you would want a cam with more intake duration than exhaust with a big block? Was cam shopping and ran across a cam with 12 degrees more intake duration at .050? It has 242 degrees of intake and 230 of exhaust.

In some turbo applications, keeping the exhaust closing to about 0 degrees at .050 is desirable when you are running into drive pressure on the turbine. A lot of exhaust duration starts to really hurt performance because the exhaust will dilute the intake charge. Typically works out around 230 degrees exhaust duration depending on LSA.
AG.

^ I agree if you start getting up there in duration and depending on the combo.

I think however if you have a combination with so much turbine drive pressure you are trying to alter the cam specs because of it, you're better off making changes to reduce the turbine drive pressure and just run a single pattern cam.

I've done a lot of experimenting with turbo cams back in the day and to my surprise, even with turbine drive pressure double boost pressure, single pattern cams with more overlap still outperformed reverse split cams with less overlap with similar duration.

yes, but back pressure at 'only' 2x boost is still pretty 'big' for some street sized turbos. The original setup I did in my Fury had 4x at 5000 rpm! It's 2.5x now. These days a person should be able to size their turbos affordably.

70 Sport Fury
68 Charger
69 Coronet
72 RR