The best I can do is a 54 Dodge truck factory service manual.

The wiring on these old Dodge trucks is pretty simple, but I believe that up until 58 or 59 they all had a positive ground. Most people treated them like a negative ground system and it pretty much worked, until it didn't. Then they look at the wiring diagrams and are completely lost.

The head light switch has a circuit breaker on the back end of it. If the lights work, then don't suddenly, and then start working again, it probably means its tripping the breaker. Usually that indicates you have a shorted out wire in the light system.
The power for the headlight circuit breaker comes from the amp meter lead. Through the breaker, it feeds the coil, the stop light switch and the headlight switch. Through the head light switch, power goes to the instrument cluster lights on one (red) wire, a (black) wire to the tail lights, A (yellow) wire to the dimmer switch (The dimmer switch powers the high or low beam headlights) and a (yellow) wire that powers the parking lights. The parking lights are only powered when the head light switch is only 1/2 way pulled out, there is no parking light power when the headlights are turned on. All the lighting grounds through the light mounting hardware, if the ground is bad, you get no, or very poorly lit lights. .

My service manual is in really rough shape and almost 3" thick. I'm not sure I could get a readable scanned picture.