Originally Posted by turbobitt
Originally Posted by Dragula
Can it be done, and if so, how do you do it? Thinking of running a 16v battery on my car for better starts, how does this work with an alternator? Do I need a 16v alternator?

I have done this on my Turbo Buick. GM alternators are easy to modify for 16 volt systems. It will actually need to charge at about 19.5 volts(about 2.45 volts per cell). The major benefits are hotter ignition, and more importantly electric fuel pump output goes up dramatically. On a high HP fuel injected car its far more beneficial since fuel pump output at high pressures are hard to achieve under high boosted applications. I used a Rock racing battery that had a 3rd 12v lug for some stuff I didn't want on the 16 volt side.

AG

That is exactly right. I have ran 16 volts on all my stuff for 30 years and would never go back to 12 volts. If your a nitrous guy or blown/EFI it is leaps and bounds better then 12 volts. Voltage is power. On a pure stock deal with some mods ok 12 volts but do a test on the draw down of voltage and you will be surprised.