Since my boy is now a racer, we need another tow rig. Going to convert my '86 D-150 (318/Auto) over to big block power to do the job. This truck will be hooked onto an open 18' steel/wood deck trailer towing a B-body 80 miles (roundtrip) to the track maybe 8-10 times a year; plus occasional trips to the local tavern with my bride.

I snagged up an '81 Dodge RV with 61,xxx miles on the odometer. 440/long-tail 727. Just doing some really basic stuff to the 440 (reseal, headers, Performer RPM intake, 600 Edelbrock, maybe a cam for towing if anyone has any ideas) as well as converting it to an 8 3/4 with 3.55's. Of course, I'll add a large auxiliary cooler to the trans (and maybe the engine oil too?).

My questions really center around the transmission.

Research tells me RV-spec tranny's should have some good stuff already (4 pinion planetary's, extra clutch, etc.).

Any recommendations on internal upgrades or just clean/freshen/replace what's already in there?

How about a shift kit?

The converter that is currently in the transmission has a large ring gear but also has a sticker on it that says "low-stall".

I suspect they used these to get these giant bread-box lumbering barges moving?

So, maybe the converter is perfect for the application?

Any other thoughts/concerns I'm not seeing?

Last edited by olwhite64; 10/03/23 02:17 PM.