Originally Posted by CokeBottleKid
This crap?

https://www.sonnax.com/parts/4430-8-bolt-adapter-flange-yoke

It's [censored] aluminum.... I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole

I haven't seen one fail, ever, out of any of these trans grenading incidents. I have one sitting here now, it's pretty heavy duty billet aluminum. I'm no engineer but i'd trust it handling a bit of power. As far as whether or not it creates an issue with the output shaft in moving the U joint back, that i don't know. It's either that or use a factory style Hellcat yoke which supposedly isn't as strong as a 'trusted' 1350 yoke so I don't know if that's an improvement. Keeping the U joint close to the output shaft though does seem beneficial.

Originally Posted by A727Tflite
With all these failures - what failed ? The driveshaft, the adapter, what?

Almost every one I've seen, the entire case around the output shaft grenaded. The output shaft itself was intact, on some even the driveshaft was intact and undamaged. I don't know what exactly inside of the housing exploded to cause the housing to crack though, most guys didn't get too far into figuring that out other than "the trans exploded". I could say for certain though I haven't seen an adapter fail, and more than a few times I've seen the driveshafts were unscathed. Doesn't mean they didn't hit critical speed though, but they definitely didn't break in a few of the failures i've seen.

Everyone who this has happened to seems to have a different opinion on why it happened. Some say critical speed, some say they believe the trans took a hit from the doner car it was in and something inside or the case was damaged already, some say the factory yoke may have loosened up and created a wobble (apparently there is an issue with the bolts not being torqued or backing out from the factory) but the weird thing is more than a few guys CLAIM they felt no vibration while driving or prior to the failure. Some have speculated it's something to do with the the 8hp90 output shaft getting leveraged somehow by the adapter yoke or something to do with the slip shaft binding.

Again, everyone CLAIMS their driveline angles were correct but that gets complicated and sometimes people don't seem to know what correct is. The fact that none of them felt vibration driving/cruising/racing the car, even prior to failures though is what scares me since it really does seem like that rules out bad geometry.

All I know is that catestrophic failures like this really never happen in factory hellcats other than by very obvious causes (people doing burnouts in the top of 8th gear clearly running into critical speed issues with the DS or cars pushing like 1k+ wheel through the stock trans)

Last edited by 1mean340; 09/25/23 04:33 PM.