2001 Dodge, 4 X 4, Cummins Diesel. I stopped at a rest area after being on the road for about 60 miles on my way to a car show, towing my car. When I placed the shift lever of my truck in "Park", the engine RPM started surging several times up and down from idle to almost 3,000 RPMs to the point where I had to turn the ignition off to avoid the engine over-revving. After sitting for several minutes, kind of in shock, I checked for "error codes" and two codes were displayed: P0122 (APPS Sensor) and P1398 (ECM companion code). Also, the check engine light was illuminated. I was able to make it back home with no further issues. The truck ran fine, the check engine light went out, but it is still throwing the two error codes (even after I cleared them by disconnecting the battery for several hours).

I replaced the APPS sensor 1 year and 1,300 miles ago after I was experiencing an erratic idle and getting a P 1022 code. I purchased an Alliant Power APPS sensor and it is hard for me to believe it has gone bad after such short use but apparently it has.

I plan to make an appointment at the Dodge Dealer to have a complete scan of my electrical system just to be sure the P 1022 code it the only problem. Has anyone ever heard or had this happen with their 5.9 Cummins?