Originally Posted by JDMopar
Take it out the bottom! Way less work. Jack it up as high as your jack stands will go. Take the starter and dust cover off first and then take the flex plate to torque converter bolts out. Take the driveshaft out and use a spare slip yoke to keep it from leaking if you have one. Take the shift linkage and speedometer cable loose next, and then take the cooler lines loose from the transmission end. Support the engine so it doesn't droop down when you take the transmission out, and then take all the bellhousing bolts out except the bottom one on each side. Put the floor jack under the pan with a piece of plywood or something on it to protect the pan, then take the trans mount loose and then take the trans crossmember out. Take the other 2 bellhousing bolts loose and slide the trans back a little. Ease it to the floor and roll it out from under the car. If it won't clear, slide it off the jack and drag it out. In my experience, cardboard is much easier to work off of than a creeper. Reverse the procedure to put it back. Good luck to you!

I totally agree, I don't know why on earth someone would want to drain coolant and do all that other work to get a lousy trans out. I have a lift now but used to pull em out in an hour on the ground as long as the exhaust wasn't in the way.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!