Originally Posted by Thelma133
I thought i had fixed my vibration on my 67 cuda. New mark Williams shaft, changed pinion angle, new wishbone. Now, just to be safe, i bought a bubble balancer to check the REAR SLICKS (brand new Goodyear) and it took “26”ounces to balance one tire. The other tire was almost as bad, 16 ounces for that one. I know many of you don’t balance, but the tire installer said he’s sure the goodyears (. And maybe the tubes in them) are defective. I’m awaiting his tear down tomorrow and opinion of what’s wrong. I was running 10 lbs air in the slick and have about 8 passes on them. The vibration shook the entire car, it was bad. I think my problem all along was defective tire and just pissed away 1200 on a new Williams shaft. Any of you running Goodyear have any issues with them????

Thanks

16 ounces?!?!?!?

26 ounces?!?!?!? eek

Those should go right back to the vendor.

Another thing to look for that I see all the time is out of round or egg shaped tires. You will feel that in the car and no amount of balancing will cure it. Needing lots and lots of weights is an indication that the tire(s) will more than likely be out of round, too. A spin balancer is key to finding the out of rounds before too much time is spent on them. Any significant out of round is a no go for me. They will never get any better and no attempts at balancing will cure the vibration that they cause.

I nearly quit buying MTs over these issues and was a big part of my decision to go to the 275 drag radials rather than the 295s. All of the 295s were just about unusable. At least I can find 275s that don't totally shake my fillings out.

And bolt up your wheels to the car and check that run-out, too. I have seen aftermarket axles and rims that were terrible.

Master, again and still