Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
It's a drag link for my 74 W200. No one is making a replacement part currently. This is a Skyjacker adjustable drag link that is supposed to fit but doesn't. This end needs to be pretty much straight. I've searched for other tie rod ends but dimensions are hard to find. It needs to be about 8.5" long from the stud center to the end of the shank. The shank is 1" x18 thread, the stud large taper about .750" and the small taper about .625".

I believe this is a forging, it has a wide parting line like a forged crankshaft would. If I can safely bend this without ruining it that would be preferable. My only other option would be to make a drag link with tubing and heim joints.

Two technicians that had an alignment shop behind the Woodward Garage (Chrysler’s race shop offsite from Highland Park) regularly heated tie rod ends, idler arms and pitman arms to get bump steer under control back in the 60’s and 70’s.

They did my brother’s car in 1967, this car has seen countless passes without an issue.

A street vehicle is subject to more stress but done carefully you would be fine.

My suggestion is to heat it while in a press until it yields to your desired angle. Let it cool slowly.

Last edited by Transman; 04/14/23 12:12 PM.