every large corp/gov is going to have quality issues.
whatever you make/do gets screwed up due to
1. bureaucracy
2. risk/reward system
3. complex machinery or the system
4. we have always done it like this.

the sheer number of people a single "job" has to go through is just insane.
not the guy putting on the lug nuts. it is his boss, his bosses boss, the people that are required to get bids for lug nuts, someone that inspects them, the people that make them, their source for materials etc..
I am the poor guy on the line putting them on, but notice they aren't quite right.
on the best of days, it takes 10 people to decide and get them changed out with new ones. again not physically right there on the line. but to source new ones going forward. that car that day is screwed probably, especially now with JIT ordering.

if I am getting bonuses because cars are going out the door, anything that slows that down goes by the wayside.
I am supposed to do x y and z, but z gets the cars out the door, so I am going to skip x and y till someone catches me. or someone makes it important to me.
that doesn't happen till someone audits the production and if audit has no teeth, then nothing changes till regulatory steps in and the .gov is going to fine you x millons of dollars and suddenly it is important till no one is looking again.

not one person can follow production of something from beginning to end. Gaps, or misses will occur because there isn't one person tracking everything or that understands everything from beginning to end.
each group is responsible for their slice of the pie, but don't understand the pie as a whole so you get flaws that build up and eventually crash something out.
the few people they do have trying to follow the line still have a narrow focus and limited knowledge of how things work, relying on the person in charge of that part of the line to tell them it is ok.
The higher up the food chain you go, the less likely they will understand the day to day because managers are now career managers, not people that worked their way up doing everything like the old days.
The military still takes the approach with officers that they need to do every job before they move up.
they limit it of course, none of them are actually able to do the job independently, but at least they put hands on to do the work at some point so they have a clue what they are ordering to get done.

no one wants to change how they do it.
as processes evolve, some jobs don't get removed, so people are doing things that don't need to be done anymore, but not knowing how the whole system works, prevents people from pruning dead branches.
you get vestigial tails so to speak, that don't do anything, but impede the system and adding bloat. sometimes these things do damage however causing other problems in the system.