Wow, A12. That’s sucks. Hope this was not a classic car. There are only two ways you can get a title in Texas. One is a long process that requires an inspection of the car by a certified LEO of the current vin in all places to verify that vin. The current owner of record is sent a letter stating that someone is trying to get a title for the car. If no reply, then you contact a bonding agent and get a bonded title on a pretty big dollar amount of more than the restored value of the car. The bond is not expensive though. That’s where most people end the story. I called a bonding underwriter and asks what happens if within the three years of the bond, someone claims the car. He said, “ We pay the bond to the person and come after you legally for the entire bond amount in court.”
The other way evolves a judge to grant a title. It’s a little complicated and most judges won’t take time to do it. I know a guy that is doing it and I’m afraid he is “ stretching it” somewhat. He may get in trouble someday and the judge may too. And in my best a Forrest Gump voice, “ and that’s all I’m going to say about that.”