No way I would do that. When we take in a car then and only then do I take money down. I have never required any certain amount. I always tell the people put down what you can and we work from that. If its a small amount then cross that road when more is needed. I just track materials and time on an excel sheet. When it gets to the point of needing more I email that sheet to the customer so they can see where it is at. I always tell them by all means come in as often as you can and be in contact with me. IT keeps that communication in check. I also tell them that we still have regular work that I have to keep rolling through. This past summer all the shops around our area felt the effects of 2 major storms hitting us. That slowed things down way more than I had hoped for the 2 restos I have going. Seeing where things would be going I made sure I kept in contact with the owners and kept them informed of anything. Thankfully they are understanding and great to work with and for. The end of the day the vehicle owner and shop have to be on the same page and keep in contact. These restos can get out of hand by both parties and if one party is not keeping informed of the other than it sets up a bad ending. Personally I would not put money down to hold a spot. I don't and just keep people informed of the process of the work in house that's going on so as it gets closer to one leaving I can bring in another. If that person finds someone that can get it in sooner. I tell them by all means I hold no ill feelings if that happens. I totally understand and stand behind them in the choice. I did a 68 charger for a guy once. Same time had another guy that wanted to pull his A12 car from one shop and bring it to me. Was up front and told him we could not take it on. He found someone else to finish it. It turned out beautiful. Fast forward a few years and same guy now buys a hemi car. 1st place he calls is me. We took it on and finished it up for him. He has since sold that one and is keeping his eyes open for another 6 pac or hemi car to do and had said when he finds it its coming here. That's how you build work flow not by taking money to, hold a spot and not refund it if they pull it from you.

Just my .02
corey

Contact Me about AMD Prices