Originally Posted by DUFFMAN
It took me 2 years of planning to give 16 Scouts and 8 adults the opportunity to complete a 7 day backpacking trek trough the Rocky Mountains at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.

The trek was a very memorable adventure, but what we didn't know is it wouldn't be the most memorable part of the trip. On our way home our Amtrak train collided with a dump truck in Mendon MO and derailed. In the ensuing chaos our Scouts and adult leaders jumped into action to help others in need. I spent almost 2 hours after the accident in the car I was riding in, helping first responders to load the injure on backboards and help them exit the car. I feel very fortunate to not have any injuries. We had 4 adult leaders that were not so fortunate. 2 of our adults had spinal injuries, one tore a bicep muscle and had surgery later, the other had sever bruising. Only 2 scouts were injured. My son was one of them, with a wrecked shoulder. He has since heeled but lost most of his summer and his job because of the injury.

Of course we are proud of how everyone from our contingent jumped in and helped after the accident. It's a summer we'll never forget.

My son is the tall one in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyZQBHxLfRg

Great job Scouts and leaders on helping with the rescue efforts. Sounds like things could have been a lot worse. I'm an Eagle Scout, and made the Philmont trip in 1969. What a wonderful experience.