I am helping a friend with a car that he just picked up. A 70 V-code, 4 speed, Road Runner which is probably best described as a one repaint survivor.

Doesn't run well, barely starts, wiring has been hacked in to multiple times...every harness, and I mean every.

To get started, we decided to replace the engine harness which had a clumsy modification to add a Mopar ECU, several areas of burnt insulation and was in very poor condition. I've modified new Mopar engine harnesses to add Mopar Electronic ignition many times, I am sure that I got it right and with solid connections (I checked multiple times as we ran into issues). While doing this, I noticed multiple hacks and splices to the headlight harness and the very poor way the neutral safety switch harness had been repaired at some time (at least 4 splices). So I cleaned up the connections, replaced two almost broken wire connections to the bulkhead plug, but left how it was done alone figuring I would come back to it.

We go to start the car and we end up with the situation where we turn the key and nothing happens. But here is the really odd kicker...we noticed that when the key is in run or start...THE CLOCK STOPS! The clock runs otherwise with the key off and in accessory mode. Also...no headlights or dome light at all.

As I said the headlight harness is original, and hacked. Since the car was brought to my friends garage he told me that he had a moment with it where it wouldn't turn over and he moved some harnesses around under the dash and it worked again!

I checked, the connectors to the column are tight and look fine. There are no burn marks or melted areas on the bulkhead connector. I did notice by putting a lighted borescope under the dash that it looks like the black wire to the altimeter gage has been repaired at some time, the red is fine. There are no signs of damage to the gage +/- posts.

So what could happen circuit-wise that putting the key in to run and start is so bad that the clock stops! Prior to messing with the harnesses the car did turn over but started only very inconsistently, battery is charged. What started as a 6-pack tuning exercise has turned in to a "turn the key and stand next to the fire extinguisher!"

THOUGHTS?????

Last edited by Kowal; 09/17/22 02:33 PM.

'69 Hemi Charger 500, ‘70 U code Challenger R/T
(These and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

P.J. O'Rouke: "The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."