My employer had an assembly plant near Dallas and part of my onboarding when I got hired as an engineer was working there for two weeks on the line.
I was there in April and it wasn’t bad, but the previous hire group went there the previous august during a heat wave when it was 100+.
People at the plant said when real hot it was miserable, even by a fan didn’t help.
That plant got closed not long after, but we’re building a new plant in San Antonio. I’m not sure if there’s any climate control there.
At a previous employer I visited both iron and aluminum foundries. The Kansas aluminum foundry in particular sticks in my memory, we visited it in summer, and the workers were dressed in heavy denim and gloves to protect against splatters of molten aluminum. In the iron foundry, I was told the guy manning the hot crucible of molten iron was one of the most coveted jobs in the plant.
I see service centers and wonder how the techs deal with summer heat as most of those places aren’t air conditioned.
But then I see roofers and think that’s got to be the worst job in the world!
I’m not very heat tolerant especially humidity, and work an office job in AC. But I have had no shortage of chest puffing friends and coworkers tell me they thrive in summer heat and humidity and I’m a pussy for saying it messes me up. Obviously some people are really heat tolerant, I’ve known many others who can’t deal with bitter cold. I don’t like it but I do fine with it. We had a bitter cold snap a few years ago where it hit -25. I told myself if my car started, I was going into the office. It started so off I went.
It was like a neutron bomb had gone off, roads were empty. Only a handful of coworkers showed up to work. I rolled my eyes that the no shows were so weak.
So if you can’t handle heat, don’t work in a factory, garage, as a roofer, building roads etc. Theres lots of different careers out there and people need to work in jobs that suit their physical abilities and limitations.