Our cars are dinosaurs and we are quickly turning into dinosaurs ourselves. And while we all may not completely go away, we are becoming a mere shadow of our former selves.

The Du Quoin Street Machine Nationals are held about 20 minutes from us and as such, we have always attended. One thing we have noticed is that it used to be populated primarily with muscle cars. The newer stuff and oddball stuff were very much the minority. That balance has certainly changed. This year, for instance, I counted only 4 E body Cudas at the show. I may have missed one or two, but still that is an abysmally small number and reflects the fact that muscle cars are now in the minority.

Another thing that is very noticeable is the fact that the number of guys that actually build their cars is shrinking just as fast. The majority just buy their car vs those that build their car.

And I am part of the problem myself. I don't put even half the miles on my Cuda each year that I used to. Part of the reason is that I don't have that many muscle car buddies to run around with like I used to. Heck, my most frequent car show buddy is a Pontiac guy. That is how far I have fallen. And I haven't raced the last few years at all. And the reason is, to be perfectly honest, that I just don't want to work on the car if I hurt something. Just old and lazy, I guess.

The most painful part for me is that this is a trend that is likely to continue which begs the question; when to sunset my lifelong Mopar passion/hobby? Well, it's been over 50 years, so it's been a good run.

Master, again and still