I understand you are right about the superiority of CD systems.

But, I have been through near a dozen Mopars over the years and have a locked in to sort of a routine with my cars that I am comfortable with. I look to bring the cars as close as possible to stock, certainly stock appearing. Electronically I bend on the integration of a Mopar ECU in to the stock engine harness to ditch the points. Early on I went with more aggressive builds but this is where I evolved to. I work on them, drive them around, do local cruises and the occasional show. To me the addition of a CD system is an escalation that I would rather not do, preferring to maximize performance stopping short of that. Hence the different type of Mopar style boxes and maybe Pertronix.

I have a bunch of NOS orange and chrome boxes that are original early 4 pin Mopar, even a couple of Standard 4 pin units from an old K-Mart still in their old dusty clamshell from hanging on a retail rack. But the Charger bends my rules above with the hotter build on the engine than stock, so I have been experimenting to see if there is better, but short of a CD system.

The introduction to the market of all the different Mopar style ECUs seems like the wild west with a lot of “less than robust” solutions out there. I tried the blue JEGS unit based on what our collective friend from Mopar Action recommends and sells on his e-bay store. The box does work well on my Challenger, I have been running it two years and it does seem to add a very slight positive change in the performance envelope when compared to the orange box. But I don’t think it is enough for the Hemi in my Charger, it didn’t get me where I want to go with the plugs/tuning.

Last edited by Kowal; 06/28/22 05:35 PM.

'69 Hemi Charger 500, ‘70 U code Challenger R/T
(These and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

P.J. O'Rouke: "The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."