Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
I purchased a front door back in Oct and it is about 2 inches wider than my "rough opening". It is a 36" door with 2 12" sidelites. Trying to find a good looking door in the correct size was almost impossible and I thought I did get the right one, but it turns out it is a little too wide. I don't want to take it back as I like the looks of it and it seems all the 60" wides are the same width of the one I got. I have had a few installers over and they said they are going to have to do some "cutting" or expanding the frame opening to get it in. It is possible but will need work.

Here is my question, has anyone taken apart the actual door frame that surrounds the door and sidelites and trimmed down the sidelites (and surround) to fit the smaller opening of the house? It appears to be screwed into the frame but I don't know how it is attached to the frame pieces between the main door. I figure if I take off a 1/2" off of each "sidelite", that will get me the 2" I need not to mess with the house. It would be close to the trim but I think there is just enough room. It is a fiberglass door and fiberglass sidelite but the frame is all wood. Link to the door:

Thanks.....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feather...w-Sidelites-332491-3A5/205211135#overlay

I make doors-side lites. Many thru 50 years. If what you bought is really old maybe but not the new ones. New class is all tempered and can’t be cut down but the surrounding wood can be cut (not sure it would look good) cut the top jamb and sill plate then move the side jambs over, screw it back together. The side lites can be cut on a table saw just look for screws and nails holding the together, after cutting put the back in. It all depends on how wide the styles are behind the stop. Most if not all will never notice the difference