Originally Posted by ledft79
I don't have a donor vehicle yet. I'm just trying to gather enough information to choose the correct donor to get everything that I want with the least amount of time and money involved if I do decide to make the swap. According to information that I've received, 94 and newer frames pose additional problems due to a rise in the rear frame rail. Can you enlighten me on what problems I would have to overcome if I used a 94 or newer donor? I would really like to go 04 or newer to be able to get into a Hemi donor vehicle. I do realize that the frame would have to be shortened with anything 94 and newer. Also, are there any track width issues, or frame width with the newer vehicles? Did the frames ever differ in width, throughout the years?

A 94 is a completely different truck then a 93. Wheel base, truck width (94 + suspension is wider, but the frame under the cab is narrower), suspension mounting points, and actual suspension parts are completely different. Nothing old or new will interchange. The old (before 94) are pretty much straight frames with straight crossmembers with changes in height under the cab and box. The new (after 94) are curved side rails, the change in width, and height continuously from the front bumper to the rear bumper. Shortening the wheel base requires adjusting for different frame heights and widths with as little as 6" removed. You can't cut it, remove a few inches, and weld it back together, the rails will not line up! If you have to shorten the wheel base on a 94+ frame, more then 6", the fuel tank will no longer fit. The Hemi EFi requires that tank, pump, & wiring. Finding a new location for a Hemi compatible computer fuel tank will be an all new challenge.

The next issue will be the placement of the cab on the frame in relation to the motor and front suspension, especially when you are talking 5.7 Hemi. The newer trucks have the motor sitting way back under the dash. When you get the old cab positioned on the new frame, your going to find you need to use the firewall, dash (and gauges), the wiring, the gas pedal, and the computer for the Hemi, and that stuff fits so much better on the Hemi firewall and floor pan.

My son and I mounted a 92 Ramcharger body on a 04 Hemi Durango Chassis. (The Dakota/Durango frame updated in 2003 (or 2004) to similar to the 94 & up full size truck frame from 94 and newer) The Durango was a driver truck, he bought complete (the guy drove it 60 miles to my son and sold it to him). The Ramcharger was a pretty nice rolling body with a tired 318 auto trans. The thought was to shorten the wheel base on the Durango, use the Durango firewall and floor pan back to behind the front seats (and everything thing else we could), and join the two together. Pretty much what you are considering.

We had 2 solid weeks (nearly 80 hours!) just merging the two firewalls and floor boards joined together. The Ramcharger body is 4" per side wider then the Durango, and the firewall from just above the gas pedal to the windshield had to be completely fabricated to be able to use the Durango instrument cluster the computer wants to see. (I had just retired from my welding shop at the time, this was real, hourly, shop time hours). I am not new to this stuff. I've done several older bodies to newer chassis before and driven them well past 50,000 miles each. This Ramcharger is currently being driven (licensed early last year), it can be done. Still needs to be "finished" but that is my son's deal, I was involved to get it to the running and driving stage.

Hind sight is 20/20. I can tell you I wouldn't do this again knowing what I now know.

If you choose to go this direction, my son may, or may not have any pictures of the Ramcharger process. I can talk you through what I can remember. Check out my build thread 49 Dodge on a Dakota chassis to get an idea what you are looking at. The Dakota /Durango frames updated in 2003/2004 to a very similar frame used from 94 and up on the full sized trucks. Gene